Always have a detailed home escape plan.
- Write out and detail a plan
- Make sure to at least have 2-ways to get outside of your house
- Focus on bedrooms, and how to escape from bedrooms
What to do if there is smoke in your home.
If you are caught in smoke in your home, stay low to the ground.
Do not jump out of windows, rather have a safety latter to escape from.
Always have a designated meeting place where your family knows to meet up in case of an emergency.
Properly Using Fire Extinguishers
Fire extinguishers can be used to put out small fires, or to keep fire at bay until the fire department arrives.
- Plain view and within easy reach
- Read the directions
- Pull the pin
- Squeeze and sweep across the base of the fire
- Have your back to the door, so you always have an escape route
Special Tip: Know what type of fire extinguisher you have, using the wrong type on the wrong fire can escalate the situation.